Are you a New York City public high school student in grades 10–12?
Know City high school students in grades 10–12 who would enjoy getting the opportunity to help organize and lead meaningful community service projects later this year?
The DOE’s Service in Schools (SIS) team is looking for City high school students to apply for its Service in Schools Leadership Institute, a five-day service-learning program that provides students in grades 10–12 with the opportunity to develop their leadership skills as they help plan and implement the DOE’s fifth annual Youth Service Summit for elementary school students.
The five-day Institute, which will take place during Spring Recess (Monday, April 2 – Friday, April 6, 2018) in midtown Manhattan, will train participating students to identify, plan, and lead service projects that will take place later this year during and after the day-long Youth Service Summit on Friday, May 25. Students who complete the Institute and the Youth Service Summit will become certified as Service in Schools Leaders in recognition of their leadership and positive impact on their communities.
Students who participate in the Institute will be provided breakfast, lunch, and a daily MetroCard during the week-long event.
To apply for the SIS Leadership Institute, students should:
- Download these 3 documents (all on one PDF);
- Educator Letter of Acknowledgment and Support;
- Parent/Guardian Consent Form; and
- DOE Media Release Form
- Ask a teacher, guidance counselor, or school administrator to complete and sign their Educator Letter of Acknowledgment and Support;
- Have a parent/guardian sign both the Parent/Guardian Consent Form and Media Release Form;
- Submit their online applications by Thursday, February 15, 2018, at 5 p.m.; and
- Send their signed Educator Letter, Consent Form, and Media Release form to ServiceinSchools@schools.nyc.gov with the subject line, “SIS Leadership Institute Forms,” by Thursday, February 15, 2018, at 5 p.m.
Note that the 3 documents can be scanned or photographed with a smartphone, so long as they are readable via email.
Students will be selected to participate in the SIS Leadership Institute and the Youth Service Summit based on the quality of their responses to the questions listed on their application. Applications that do not include all the aforementioned components will not be considered.
Remember, applications are due by Thursday, February 15 at 5 p.m., so start applying today!
Good luck to all of our prospective Service in Schools Leaders!